Did you know that doing a breathing exercise is a great way to relax yourself when you are feeling stressed and anxious? It can be especially be helpful at night, when you may be having difficulty slowing down and getting to sleep.
One of my favorites, which I often use when I’m feeling too anxious to sleep, is below. I can actually feel my heartbeat slowing down as I do this, allowing me to relax and fall asleep much easier. It can be done at times other than bedtime, however. Anytime you are anxious and feel your heart pounding in your chest is a good time for this breathing exercise.
How to Do the Breathing Exercise
- Lie down or sit in a comfortable position.
- Allowing your stomach to rise rather than your chest, inhale to a count of five heartbeats.
- Gradually exhale for another count of five heartbeats.
- Continue the pattern, noting how your heartbeats are slowing.
- Stop when you feel your heart is no longer racing.
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels